Just before the busy school year rolls out, what better way to prepare and regroup than with a trip outside of the hustle and bustle of New York City? Boys Hope Girls Hope of New York’s staff and Prefects (youth leaders) spent three days and two nights engaging in professional development, bond building, and creating long-lasting memories in The Poconos, Pennsylvania. The objective of this retreat was to develop leadership qualities that build on integrity and communication, establish effective communication, become more acquainted with staff and scholars, and of course to have fun!
We engaged our scholar Prefects through a series of workshops, team building activities, guided meditation, and more. As our Prefects enter their leadership roles, we were thrilled our very own staff played such a significant part in preparing for an impactful year. Some of the highlighted workshops of the retreat were as follows:
– Planning for Success led by Jah Thomas (Director of Academic Success- LaSalle Hall)
– Communication is Key led by Daniella Portillo (Residential Manager- McAuley Hall) & Devine Pearson (Residential Counselor- LaSalle Hall)
– Setting Expectations: Scholar to staff & Staff to Scholar led by Lynnette Lopez (Dean of McAuley Hall)
– Self Advocacy & Community Needs led by Julie Vazquez (Director of Academic Success- McAuley Hall)
– Discovering the Leader in You led by Martin Torres (Dean of LaSalle Hall)
We are so eager to see how the academic year unfolds and more excited to see how our student leaders will impact their community!